Sunday, September 26, 2004

Mooncake, Language

One of the three major Chinese festivals, Moon Festival, is coming this month. The Chinese Culture Club at IUPUI held an event for celebrating the festival. In the event, we ate Chinese food, and of course the moon cake. While eating, I need to explain different kind of filling of mooncakes to my classmates in English. I couldn't do it at that time, because I didn't care what are those ingredients inside, I simply eat. So, after that I started to search information on Google and discussed it with Waew. So, I got following terms in English:

Red bean paste (紅)豆沙
Longan paste 桂圓/龍眼(龍眼Longan means Dragon Eye in Mandarin.)
Pecan核桃
Lotus seed paste 蓮蓉
Jujube paste 棗泥
Five nuts 五仁 (Waew's favorite, which is mixted with 5 different nuts)

I also learned the mooncake in Thai
ขนมไหว้พระจันทร์ = Moon cake
ขนม = bakery
ไหว้ = the gesture that Thai use for greeting (Chinese use to worship god)
พระจันทร์ = moon

oh, BTW most people don't like Jujube paste flavor. My classmates, roommates, and I.

1 Comments:

At October 13, 2004 at 9:36 PM, Blogger Jessy said...

Hey, It's Nice to visit your blog. The Moon Cake picture shooted nicely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Powered by Blogger